Workflow and troubleshooting
Completion of Fundamental Barista Skills
After learning how to achieve a precise starting result in Fundamental Barista Skills, we delve into the nitty gritty of producing great coffee in a café environment in this class. This is the closest thing we have to a ‘barista basics’ class, but with the prerequisite of having produced excellent espresso in the Fundamentals class, it is infinitely more useful.
This class contains the following content:
- Troubleshooting – we look at a range of things which could potentially go wrong with your daily setup process, and then we fix them.
- Autonomous setup – learners are expected to achieve an espresso recipe with minimal instruction.
- Milk steaming and pouring – we spend time in this class practicing steaming milk, with a focus on specific orders.
- The espresso menu – we work our way through the ‘best practice’ methods of producing coffee, and discuss current coffee trends.
- Workflow – we simulate a café environment (without the customer interactions) and prepare coffee orders to work on achieving high quality results in a suitable timeframe.
- Cleaning and maintenance – following on from the Fundamentals class, we take a more detailed look at cleaning our espresso machine and grinder parts.